Re: GG: The Unpublished Recordings of Glenn Gould

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Mr. Siffermann wrote:

> Dear minors,
>
> I was reminded by the recent discussion of how many GG
> recordings are not availible.  Does anyone have a list
> of the recordings GG made, but are not currently
> availible.

The apocryphal GG recordings I have captured are on the following labels
(and most or all are out-o-print since the Sony megamachine got hold of
the legacy and started saying "Ni!" to everybody):

- Music and Arts [many]
- Memoria/Frequenz [Salzburg recital - essential]
- Virtuoso [Beethoven 3/Mozart 24]
- Melodram [Brahms 1 with Bernstein]
- Nuova Era [Strauss/Schoenberg/Krenek/Ravel - TV dubs done badly]
- Memories [2 disc live Bach/Beethoven/Schoenberg/Prokofiev/Strauss]
- Fanfare [The Young Glenn Gould - also seen on Vox(?) LP long ago]
- and of course CBC [several]

There was also a two-disc recital on BIS which I haven't heard.  And
probably various other things here and there.

I have a Radio Canada International LP but its material is now on CBC and
Sony (Bach partita 5 and Brahms piano quintet).

Sony has released some of the other things mentioned above, but back in
the olden days the only way to get these was on those Italian pirate
labels.  I try to feel appropriately guilty when listening to them, even
though I paid real money at real shops.

The biggest public loss is the squelching of all the Music & Arts issues.
M&A is a legitimate label.  Their historical issues are important
additions to the catalog, and they have excellent annotators.  But Sony
has said "Ni!"

Bradley Lehman | http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/ | Dayton, VA, USA

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only
sparks from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot