Re: I don't think that Gould hated Mozart, but:

You have justly trapped me in the web of my own rhetoric; it probably is
much too strong to say that Gould *hated* Mozart.  And your musical points
are very persuasive to me.  Gould's priorities certainly did not fit the
natural idiom of Mozart's music.  The same is true for Chopin too, but there
Gould simply preferred to leave the music alone.  He must have found enough
in Mozart to make the project a challenge: can I play this music in a way
that that emphasises my priorities and enables people to hear it in a
radically different, but valid, way?  As he said in his interview (doubtless
scripted by Gould) with Bruno Monsaigeon, the Mozart sonatas--in contrast to
the concertos--were, from his perspective, "fixable."  [GG Reader, p.32].

    BUT, I do think it is quite defensible to say that Gould disapproved of
Mozart and his music on moral grounds.  Gould viewed all art morally, I
think, and as the self-procalimed 'last Puritan,' he found Mozart's music
not just largely uninteresting and mediocre (as he says repeatedly to
Monsaigneon) but as somehow morally suspect.  Take his exchange with
Monsaigneon about sforzandos, where Gould says "I think they [sforzandos]
represent an element of theatricality to which my puritan soul strenuously
objects " (p. 36).  Somewhere (I thought in one of his self-interviews,
though I can't find the reference at the moment) Gould also is reproached
for his criticism of Mozart's compositions, and he says something like "Ah,
but I criticized them as products of a hedonistic lifestyle."  Finally, I
recall a story (perhaps from Friedrich?--I'm afraid I've lent mine out)
about a late-night meeting with a friend (maybe Tim Page?) when Gould
mentioned a famous Mozart pianio piece (not one of the sonatas) and sat down
to play it with, as per the description, 'complete contempt."  Gould
concluded by saying something like "That's the first and the last
performance of the [???] you'll ever hear from *me*."

    So 'hate' may indeed be too strong a term to apply to Gould's feelings
about Mozart, but I do think Gould saw Mozart as a part of the process by
which Western Art went wrong.  When Monsaigneon chides Gould for ignoring
dynamic changes and tempo markings in Mozart, Gould responds "Sure.  They
belong to an era which I often wish would just go away" (p. 35).  In this
regard, we might recall as well his description of Mozart as a composer "who
died too late rather than too soon."

Robert