Re: Hewing Hewitt down to size

john grant wrote:

> It's a matter of personal taste, no doubt, but for my money no one except
> Gould himself has equaled the 55 recording of the Goldbergs.

That's a very good point, and I wish I had made it. When I did say that if
Angela Hewitt (or anyone else) wishes to challenge Gould's hegemony in the
Goldbergs, they fail if they produce an unchallenging work, it escaped my
attention that Gould himself took on the challenge of surmounting his own
seemingly insurmountable version of the '55 GV recording, and to my mind he
surpassed his own masterpiece with unqualified success.

Birgitte