Re: Hewing Hewitt down to size

I should add, of course, that in aiming at pure beauty of tone and
construction, Hewitt is competing with pianists who take the mainstream
approach to Bach (although not with Gould, because, as I said below, I don't
think that's what Gould's Bach is about).  In this she has been very
successful.   And her success is deserved!   As a traditional approach to
the Variations, and also to the WTC, she's in the upper echelons of an
increasing large number of pianists who have attempted to take on Bach.
There is beauty of tone and construction in Hewitt's Bach, where in many
other interpretations, interpretations that aim to achieve the same end (and
I count my own interpretations among them--as an amateur pianist), there is
not!

J. Grant