Parmentier's 6th Partita

A bit off topic again,

But I just finished listening to Parmentier's rendition of the great Toccata
prelude to the 6th Partita and it is magnificent.  Not as filled with that
(can I see this and have it make sense?) Wagnarian tragic emotion* that
Gould pores into his version, which is another one of my favorites movements
that Gould performs, but Parmentier is gripping and spellbinding in his own
way.  If you're familiar with the music (as you all should be) you know that
the Toccata takes advantage of the full range of the keyboard in a way
unusual for Bach on harpsichord (maybe this fast sweeping range of
composition is more typical of the organ works, which I am unfamiliar with).

Well, the different sound qualities of the strings of the harpsichord
(having a greater variety of tone than the piano) really makes this music
swirl under Parmentier's hands.  I know this phrase keeps being batted about
when we talk about Parmentier, but I really do get a three -dimensional
aural sensation when I listen to Parementier that is usually reserved for
Gould.

So far this recording of Bach works that I'm familiar with has been my best
path into the world of harpsichord music.

And I got it, a double CD, at Tower for only 14 bucks.  What a bargain.

Bye

Jim

*Funny, no, that Gould makes Bach sound like Wagner at times, and also turns
Wagner's Meistersinger prelude into a Bachian contrapuntal showcase?