Re: GG and his last conducting projects

Jorg wrote:
-
>Here is one off-topic question:

I don't think this is off topic at all.

>Who knows more about GG´s interests in conducting in his later life. I
think
>I´ve heard it in a german TV-broadcast, that GG has arranged two (?) dates
>in order to conduct Beethovens Corelian and Mendelsohns Sommernachtstraum
in
>his last days before he died? Is this correct and wich
>interpretation/recording is recommended to have a good taste ???

GG hired some musicians in Toronto to record "Siegfried Idyll".  He
conducted.   I don't care for Wagner's music so I can't really judge if it
is tasteful.  I think that this is all he got done before he died.

GG planned to do more conducting than piano playing.  He planned to record
some piano concerti with the piano and orchestra recorded separately and put
together with editing.  It's a shame he didn't get to do this.  It would
have been an interesting experiment.

Anne Smith