Re: GG: New CD compilation -- "Mighty Organs"

Anne Marble wrote:

>Calling All Organ Experts...
>I know what musicians generally think of Glenn Gould's organ recordings. >

I don't consider myself an organ expert, but I do have some experience with
the pipe organ.  I rarely listen to the organ outside of church.  I do have
a weak spot for the Casavant Organs.  GG used one of these to record the Art
of Fugue.

The Original Jacket Collection has a multimedia disc for the Art of Fugue.
You can follow along with the music for portions of it.  I know that the
critics hated this recording, but I quite enjoyed it.  I haven't yet studied
it all because I can only take the organ in small doses.  GG's organ
technique is quite like my organ teacher's.  (He  disliked GG with a
passion.)

Maybe I'm just being perverse, but I liked the registrations that he used.
I have to disagree with Daniel on this point.  I heard different
registrations.  Skating rinks use electronic organs, not pipe organs.

If you have to play an organ instead of a piano, a Casavant is the way to
do it!

Anne Smith