Re: GG...and that harpsichord

From: Bradley Lehman <bpl@UMICH.EDU>

> At 01:58 PM 7/9/2000 -0500, John Hill wrote:
> >...  [as an aside, Bradley and I are pretty diametrically opposite
> > in our feelings about early GG vs. late GG.  I just know I'm right
> > about this, but....]
>
> Exactly.  The important thing is, when the box of Javachip comes out of
the
> freezer and hits the bowls, it doesn't matter how "wrong" GG's X or Y or
> Zed is.  If we get enjoyment out of listening to it, for whatever reason,
> it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks of it.

Darn, you're making me hungry. I'm going to have to get one of those
over-priced Odwalla vanilla almond shakes.

I feel so sorry for critics who seem to find themselves unable to enjoy
their field. It's as if they've gotten so critical that they can no longer
enjoy themselves. I often get that feeling from fillum... uh, film critics.
(Especially the !@#$ Time magazine critic who rated "The Shawshank
Redemption" as one of the worst films of the year. Huh?!?)

<snip>

> >Another example would be GG arguing strenuously with Bruno M. about
middle-
> >period Beethoven or trying to convince Yehudi M. about why Schoenberg's
> >music was truly great.  It could have easily descended into a SNL parody
of
> >the old CBS Point-Counterpoint debate.  (GG:  "Yehudi, you ignorant ****
!!)

> To which Yehudi could have replied with a Chevy Chase grin, "Hello, I'm
> Yehudi Menuhin and you're not."  And then there would be a Teddy Slutz
> cameo, culminating in: "It's always somethin'."

This is perfect timing to mention this. Late last week, I had a job
interview. I didn't get the job, so it's safe to bring this up. (The job
didn't suit me anyway. <g>)

When the department head started talking to me, he had a bit of an accent.
For a moment, I thought, "His voice reminds me of someone." And then I
realized that his voice was making me think of (I kid you not) Teddy Slutz!
I'm surprised I didn't burst out laughing. Luckily, he didn't say a single
"uh" during the entire interview.

Hope he's not a lurker. ;->