Re: GG and all that jazz

Anne wrote,
>"Apparently, that entry has said that for years. It was like that when GG
> was still alive. And hasn't been changed yet. I remember reading an
> essay or interview or something where somebody mentioned that
> entry to GG, and he said, "Oh, they haven't changed that yet?""

The anecdote to which you are referring is from Andy Kazdin's Creative Lying,
pages 125-126. He states that the error appeared in the 1958 edition of Baker's
Biographical Dictionary of Music and that GG was only "mildly bothered" by it,
saying his only comment was: "Oh, gosh, haven't they fixed that yet?". GG had
apparently long since written to the editors to inform them of their error, and
assumed that they had confused him with Friedrich Gulda, a man who balanced
classical and jazz careers.

Dominic Lesnar
Asheville, NC