GG

I happened to be listening to a collection of Baroque keyboard music while
driving my 11 year old daughter across town.  The 2nd track on the CD was
Bach's invention #1 in C, performed by Rosylen Tureck.  After its completion,
I quickly put in Gould's performance of the same piece, and asked my daughter
which she preferred.  She immediately offered that the 2nd one (Gould's) was
more interesting and exciting.  I wouldn't pretend to contrast the two pieces
in musical terms since I lack that vocabulary.  Tureck's version, while
pretty, seemed to hit all the right notes, and provided a pleasant
experience.  In Gould's, on the other hand, I could hear the music.

Jonathan Ehrlich