GG: Mahler will send you money

>In answer to your question, no, it's not true. And please don't post those
>to F-Minor. They're *never* true. Next time you get one of those
>too-good-to-be-true e-mails, check out this site to find out if it's for
>real:
>http://www.kumite.com/myths/

As the philosopher Epimenides McLuhan once put it:
"Everything you read on the Internet is untrue."

How many of those eternally-circulating myths are making the rounds in more
than one language?  That would be a potentially interesting sociological
study.

>Now if you have the lyrics to ""Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen," or to
>""Fischpredigt des heiligen Antonius von Padua," we'd love to have a copy.
>Does anybody on this list have a copy, preferably in German and English?
>(Let's have a field trip to the zoo, lyrics in hand -- baritones to the
>front, please!)
>
>P.S. No, my German isn't that good. I cheated and used Babel Fish to
>translate.
>http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/

Here's how Babel Fish translates that poem (copying the German from Gary's
posting and pasting it into the Babel Fish):

I was misplaced the world,
with which I otherwise many time spoiled,
has so for a long time nothing from me heard you,
you may probably believe, I am died!

It is also nothing at all because of it been to me,
whether it considers me died,
I cannot also nothing at all say against it,
because really I died the world.

I died the Weltgetuemmel,
and rest ' in a quiet area!
I live ' alone in my sky,
in my loving, in my song!

-----

Anyway, here's the St Anthony Preaching to the Fishes, from the Projekt
Gutenberg:

http://gutenberg.aol.de/arnim/wundhorn/wh1347.htm

And Babel Fish translation, choking on the archaicisms in the poem:

"To Antonius to preach the church findt single, it goes to the rivers, and
preaches to the
fish; They schlagn with the tails, in the sunshine shine. The carps with
Rogen are all
more hieher pulled, credit d of ' muzzles broke, listening beflissen
themselves: None
preach never-paint the carp in such a way gfallen. Spitzgoschete of hechte,
which
fence all the time,..."