RE: Extra Noises in the 'Bergs

Great idea! Much as I admire Ashkenazy's early Chopin Studies (probably the
best I have heard as an overall set) I find most of his recordings to be
unbelievably bland and uninteresting. I wonder how much of this is due to
the horribly false piano sound on nearly all Decca recordings. I'd be
interested to hear what others think about both Ashkenazy and the Decca
style of sound (do some people actually like it!?). Did GG ever comment on
Ashkenazy? I remeber Horowitz once said that he used to be good but he's not
any more, and also referred to GG as an 'ass' (I think this is the actual
word he used!) because of his unusual tempos. He cited the 'Siegfried Idyll'
as one recording which he considered to have a ridiculously slow tempo.
Anyone who hasn't read this before can find it in the H. Schonberg biography
of Horowitz.

PS If I remeber rightly the birdsong is most prominent in the slow C minor
etude op.33. It's very clear through headphones.