GG: An Unpublished Anecdote!

I keep forgetting to tell this story, and it seems timely right now --
it contains humming. A former coworker told me about the time her
husband attended a Glenn Gould concert. Her husband (Jerry) was
sitting near the front, and when the concert started, he could hear
this odd humming. Jerry thought someone nearby was humming along with
the music. He kept looking around to see who it was. Then, right in
the middle of a song, GG swore and kicked the piano leg -- and at that
moment, the humming stopped. That was when Jerry realized that Glenn
Gould was the one humming all along.

Strange, I suddenly feel the need to buy some hummus. (Groan!)

Also, a quick message of thanks...

I want to express my thanks to Glenn Gould. Not just for the music
this time -- but for being born in late September. I just found out
that on September 27th, when I'm in Toronto for the last day of the
Glenn Gould Gathering (plus some sightseeing), my department will be
working hard to get a major project out the door. Great timing!