Re: Hindemith's Das Marienleben

From: Mike Flemmer <mikejf@freewwweb.com>

> This 2 LP album set definitely worth searching for.  This is a
> recording I've never seen before.  The CD release is apparently out
> of print because it does not show up in CD web stores I searched.
> I found this mint condition two record set at a large radio station
> record sale this past weekend. (for only $4.00!)

I'm jealous! Although I have found GG records for as little as a
dollar -- but of course, they were usually ones I had already, and
they had boring covers. Pen and ink drawings of Bach. Nothing against
Bach, but I've got plenty of drawings of him! (Now, if there were Don
Hunstein photos of Bach on the album, that might be a different story.
Too bad Hunstein didn't have a Tardis.)

>But, what got my
> attention immediately is the WONDERFUL cover shot- it's a
> beautiful faces only close-up photo of Roxolana and Glenn, shot
> in warm, deep tan,  skin tone color.
>
> They both look very healthy (ok, maybe blemishes were air brushed
> out). Roxolana is extraordinarily beautiful with long black hair and
> Gould is just behind her with his typical serious 'fingers on chin'
> pose.

Have you seen the Images CD? The booklet reproduces this picture --
although in small size, so some of the detail is lost (sigh). That is
a great picture, isn't it? Sure wish I could see it bigger so the
detail isn't lost. (I hope it's part of the Hunstein exhibit.) I'm
still wondering where that skin tone came from, though! Somehow, I
can't see GG in a tanning booth. He does look healthier than usual in
that picture, though.

In the booklet, right next to it, there's a picture that must be one
of the "outtakes" of the photo shoot. They're both laughing at
something. It's a great picture. GG has his eyes shut, though, so it
wouldn't make a great choice for an album cover. (Don't you hate it
when you finally take a great picture of your nephew, and his eyes are
*shut*?)

Several pages within the booklet, there's a picture of GG sitting in a
field, looking as if he might be talking to cows. That photo is
credited to RR. Resulting in all sorts of speculation, I'm sure. (It
doesn't make much to excite curious GG fans.)

> Someone uses GG for wallpaper?  This would be a great choice.
> In fact, they make a perfect couple (dare I say?)   He should have
> married this lady!  I might even frame this album and hang it on the
> wall, I like it that much!

I hope I can find a copy of it on the 'Net. Though if I use that photo
as my wallpaper at work, I might have to answer some awkward
questions... (All of them ending in, "I don't know.")

> Roslak has a beautiful voice and she won a Juno Award for this
> recording. Even though the music is 'bleak' (but in a friendly way)
> it is a captivating performance.

For some reason, I usually prefer basses and baritones to sopranos and
tenors. Yet I really like the  sopranos who accompany Glenn Gould. I
wish I knew what the difference was between the sopranos he liked and
all the rest.