GG: All That Humming Stuff

Q: Why did Glenn Gould hum while he played Bach?
A: Because he couldn't remember the words?
(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

When I first started listening to GG, I couldn't hear the humming. It
was a combination of bad sound systems and not really giving the piece
enough attention. It was only after a while that I started noticing it
on a regular basis. I can still remember the first time I heard all
the humming on the 1981 Goldbergs. First, I couldn't believe that I
hadn't noticed that before! And second, I realized George Szell might
be right after all... (You know, the famous quote.) And third, I
thought I'd never be able to listen to that blasted CD again. But of
course, I listened to it again. And again. I not only got used to it,
I grew to accept it as an "organic" part of the piece. Yes, it does
add to the experience in many cases. Was the music intended to be
written as a choral piece? Nope. But yes, like someone else said, GG
sounds Happy when he hums.

I've heard some recordings where the humming seemed muffled -- either
that, or I need a new stereo in my car. My reaction to the muffled
humming was -- ugh. It often sounds like Glenn Gould gulping for air.
Thanks, but I'd rather hear the humming.

I guess the humming either grows on you or it doesn't. Someday,
they'll come out with Glenn Gould records with the humming removed. I
won't buy them, but I'll defend to the death your right to buy them.
(A little creative theft from Voltaire.)

My theory on the humming is that there may have been more than one
cause. One, which was mentioned already, is that this was the way he
was trained to play by his mother. Another is that he may have been
making up for the inadequacies of the instrument. But I think another
possibility is that the humming performed the duty of that vacuum
cleaner that used to run during practice -- it kept him from being
distracted by the sound of the piano and other things. I don't know if
this makes sense, but it sounds good.

But I truly believe that he couldn't have controlled it. Would you
like him to stop conducting with his freehand while playing? Both
actions were probably hardwired in his brain. To paraphrase the title
of the Village People movie, "Can't Stop the Humming." :->

Gee, I wonder if someone will try splicing together all the hums and
playing them backwards. I wonder what they'd say?!