Re: GG: Humming

>I'm looking into it - is the humming gone entirely, or just less loud?
>
>Thanks
>Bardolph

Hi Bardolph,
These recordings were made from airchecks of CBC Radio broadcasts.  In the
early 1950's they were put on acetate discs made of an aluminum base coated
with a special lacquer.   Time causes the lacquer to shrink causing the disc
to crack and peel. These defects cause pops, clicks and hissing.  In making
the CDs surface noise was reduced using software  and all sorts of technical
equipment.   Its seems to me that the humming is one of the surface noises
that is gone.
Anne