Re: GG: cab conversation (GG on/off the Record)

From: John Hill <jphill@home.com>

> The cabbie sounds friendly and is trying to entertain
> GG in small talk.  GG is being cordial in return, but one gets
> the sense that he might have enjoyed a quiet (and less air-
> conditioned) ride just as well.  He's being fairly brief and
> seems more than a bit uncomfortable.

I thought GG looked a little car-sick... Maybe it was just jet lag, or
train lag. Of course, it could be any number of things, from mild
annoyance that he had to let somebody else drive to a panic disorder.

By the way, is it common for natives of Toronto to pronounce "were" as
"ware" instead of "whir"? (I'm used to pronouncing "were" as "whir"
and "where" was "ware.") I've noticed this pronunciation in a couple
of other Toronto natives (Torontonians? Torontonites?), but I wasn't
sure if that was the norm.

I watched Two Portraits again this weekend, and all the related posts
helped me appreciate the conversations. I also managed to drag my
mother in for a scene or three.