Re: GG: cab conversation (GG on/off the Record)

Junichi Miyazawa wrote:

> Q1.  Is it true that "Up there we[Canadians]'re used to
> having windows up"?  Or is it just joking?

He was using the fact that he was a "foreigner" to explain some
rather peculiar behavior (ie: having the car window up on a very
hot day in NYC).  Canadians are mostly very sensible about
having windows open (or down) when the weather is hot.
If it's freezing cold out, of course, the windows are generally
shut to conserve heat.  GG, of course, was paranoid about
catching cold and (mistakenly) thought that one should avoid
cool conditions or drafts as a preventative measure.

> Q2.  What does "I've ever seen" mean?
> "I've ever heard of"(have some knowledge) or "I've ever been"?

Chances are the cabbie heard another passenger refer
to St. Catherines St. as being somewhere in Canada.  He doesn't
seem to be very familiar with Canada, except that it's somewhere
north of the U.S.  This is not unusual;  many Americans have a
*very* limited knowledge of Canada, outside of cold weather,
Margaret Trudeau and Bob & Doug McKenzie.

> Q3. Is "St. Catherine Street" a mis-dictation of St. Catherines,
> the Canadian city near Niagala Fall?

I think he is referring to St. Catherines Street, which is the
primary downtown street in Montreal, Quebec.

> Q4. Was the expression "long hair" for classical musicians
> common in those days?  What about nowadays?

During that period, classical music was sometimes called
"longhair music".  I don't really know why.  This expression
is much less common nowadays (kind of like calling slacks
or jeans "trousers").

> Q5. How is the attitude of the cab driver to GG?
> Does it sound familiar?  Ceeky?
> Just a typical driver in New York?
> What about his "Hushkush" comments?  A good humor?

I think he was referring to Oshkosh, Wisconsin which is
a small town in rural America.  It's a town that everybody
knows about (like Peoria, IL) and the cabbie is implying
that Uptergrove might be the Canadian equivalent of
Oshkosh.

The cabbie sounds friendly and is trying to entertain
GG in small talk.  GG is being cordial in return, but one gets
the sense that he might have enjoyed a quiet (and less air-
conditioned) ride just as well.  He's being fairly brief and
seems more than a bit uncomfortable.

> Q6.  If you find any minor mis-dictation, do let me know.

I think the small town GG referred to is "Uptergrove", isn't it.

Hope this helps.
jh