Re: about Webern

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 jjrd@sympatico.ca wrote:

> A while back, someone (I can't remember who) said that he couldn't "get"
> the music of Webern. That person was wondering if it was "Gould's fault"...
> and was asking for some feedback.
>
> Well there is this rather interesting text (and midi file) that I would
> suggest that person:
> http://www.ixpres.com/interval/monzo/webern.htm

Nice article.  There also exists a disc of Webern conducting Berg's violin
concerto (Testament 1004).  The intense concentration in the performance
is amazing, and tempos are flexible.  Obviously, W got the orchestra to
understand the piece far beyond getting the notes and rhythms.  Horrible
recorded sound, as this is from a deteriorated transcription disc, but
wow, what an indispensable performance.

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=417653238/pagename=/RP/CDN/CLASS/muzealbum.html/ddcn=SD-23761+1004+2

Bradley Lehman ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/
Dayton, VA, USA ~ 38.43N+78.98W