Re: GG: Die Kunst der Fuge, Re: Ives Concord

----- Original Message -----
From: Sivan Etedgee <sme@cisunix.unh.edu>
To: F_Minors <f_minor@email.rutgers.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 1999 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: GG: Die Kunst der Fuge, Re: Ives Concord

> >  Did GG ever play the Concord?  probably wouldn't have been
> > his cup of tea, because it would be stretching things to try to reduce
it
> > to a contrapuntal essence (as a foundation, and as a performance
approach).

> I believe he read through the piece (Ive's Concord Sonata) during his
teens, and
> it gave him a big headache.  He mentions that somewhere in the Gould
Reader, but I
> can't remember which article offhand.
> -Sivan Etedgee

Gould did mentioned that he played Ives' "Concord Sonata" in his teens, the
experience of which left him, in his words, "absolutely exhausted". He
mentioned that in the context of an article otherwise devoted to a review of
Ives' Fourth Symphony which Gould heard its first performance by Leopold
Stokowski and the American Symphony Orchestra. The article is entitled "The
Ives Fourth"; in my copy of the Glenn Gould Reader, it is on page 185.

Daniel Vaiser