Re: Ives Concord

Elmer Elevator wrote:

> Clearly Gould was drawn to classical forms and rarely seems
> enthusiastic about the 20th Century repertoire;

Huh?  What about his championing of the entire 2nd Viennese school
(Schoenberg, Webern & Berg).  He also recorded a good chunk of
Hindemith's output that involved the piano as well as some Scriabin.

> But I find it hard to believe that someone of Gould's genius,
> curiosity and imagination could have entirely dismissed Ives; there
> may be clashes and discordances in Ives, but there is such raw, naked
> emotional power and romanticism.

GG generally avoided music of a bombastic, showy nature and seems
to have been drawn primary to contrapuntal works whose structures
could be used as a jumping off point for individual interpretation.  He
did *speak* of Ives from time to time, but seems not to have been very
drawn to his music.  Same thing with Bartok, but perhaps for different
reasons.

jh