Re: Studios, Puppies and Burgers; Oh My!

From: John Hill <jphill@home.com>

> Anne M. Marble wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone remember where this GG anecdote originally came from?
When
> > he was on his way to the studio, GG used to find stray dogs on the
> > streets of Toronto (or maybe they found him). He would feed the
dog by
> > buying it a hamburger. Then, he would bring the dog into the
recording
> > studio and hand it over to the guys in the sound booth. I just
love
> > the image of recording engineers trying to do their jobs while a
stray
> > terrier keeps trying to jump into their lap (or worse).
>
> Hmmmmm....I've never heard that one before, Anne.  Where did you
> come up with this?

I don't remember where I originally read about it. But I did read
about it in an article called "Glenn Gould, the Communicator" at the
National Library of Canada GG archive. Vincent Tovell was talking
about the stray dog thing.

Here's the URL:
http://www.gould.nlc-bnc.ca/docs/ediscuss.htm

I'm not sure if it really happened, or if he was just talking about
something he'd heard. Or if it was an isolated incident that has now
become Legend because it has been repeated at the Archive, and now at
F-Minor.

I wonder what crazy stories they're going to tell about Glenn Gould in
a hundred years? I saw parts of the movie "Immortal Beloved" last
night, and while it was interesting, I couldn't help wonder how much
was made up to make the movie interesting. Imagine a Glenn Gould movie
made by the same people!

Anyway, even if you're not into "shaggy dog" stories (sorry, couldn't
resist!), the article is worth a look for the various insights, and of
course the usual outright speculation. (I also learned more about
Baudelaire's sex life than I wanted to know!)

>Somehow, I
> really can't picture Andy Kazdin feeding puppies at a GG session.

Neither can I. That certainly would have ended up in the book. Along
with a few remarks about getting fleas, I'm sure.

> It does, however, qualify as yet
> one more enticing job for the SECOND ENGINEER, who gets to do all
the
> stuff that the chief engineer doesn't really want to.  For a good
look at the
> role of the second (assistant) engineer, just check out the guy who
makes
> the tea and gives the backrubs, etc. in ON THE RECORD.  I don't know
> the identity of this particular fellow, but he certainly did
everything
> he could to keep the "vibe" of the session upbeat and to let the
other studio
> folk concentrate on the things they needed to.

Actually, I wished I could have borrowed that guy, just to help out in
my apartment for a couple of days a week! :->

I still can't get over how much the engineers in "Thirty-two Short
Films..." look like the real engineers in "On the Record."