GG: Studios, Puppies and Burgers; Oh My!

Anne M. Marble wrote:

> Does anyone remember where this GG anecdote originally came from? When
> he was on his way to the studio, GG used to find stray dogs on the
> streets of Toronto (or maybe they found him). He would feed the dog by
> buying it a hamburger. Then, he would bring the dog into the recording
> studio and hand it over to the guys in the sound booth. I just love
> the image of recording engineers trying to do their jobs while a stray
> terrier keeps trying to jump into their lap (or worse).

Hmmmmm....I've never heard that one before, Anne.  Where did you
come up with this?

It's a bit strange, because in the early days, GG recorded in NYC (not Toronto).
I can't really picture him walking any great distance to get to the 30th St.
Columbia studios (ON THE RECORD shows him taking a cab).  Later, during the
70s, he did record in Toronto at the Eaton Auditorium with engineer/producer
Andy Kazdin.  However, I don't recall any reference in Kazdin's book to this
and it seems a bit too offbeat for Kazdin to have not included it.  Somehow, I
really can't picture Andy Kazdin feeding puppies at a GG session.

>I'm sure the
> recording engineers don't think the story is so funny! :->

Well, I like dogs and cats, but the idea of feeding them hamburgers in
the control room does seem quite wrong.  And the chief engineer would
*certainly* not have been saddled with that type of thing at a session.

It does, however, qualify as yet
one more enticing job for the SECOND ENGINEER, who gets to do all the
stuff that the chief engineer doesn't really want to.  For a good look at the
role of the second (assistant) engineer, just check out the guy who makes
the tea and gives the backrubs, etc. in ON THE RECORD.  I don't know
the identity of this particular fellow, but he certainly did everything
he could to keep the "vibe" of the session upbeat and to let the other studio
folk concentrate on the things they needed to.

cheers,
jh