Re: email as communicative form

>However, part of the reason messages like
>these can have any poignancy is that they're by nature more fragile.

yes, i agree with all that you have said. and i don't think that all
technology is dehumanizing. i tend to think that modernity causes an
alienation in the social fabric which can be both perpetuated and rectified
by technology. that is the fragility, i think.

but i also think that technological inovation in communication do not
constitute the post-modern free-for-all that is so often presumed. i think
there is an element of freeing up communication but on the whole it is still
a highly structured entity. we do not come to this list tabula-rasa but as
formed subjects in the possession of various forms of capital. the love of
classical music does not presuppose we are all aristocrats but we all
possess forms of cultural capital which allow our participation. yes, the
internet is classed!

it is an interesting point you make though angela about communication as
art. i agree with you...

paul.