Re: GG:late nighters, humming, and polyphonic listening

In a message dated 7/21/99 2:03:11 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
mikejf@freewwweb.com writes:

<< This late night internet talk got me wondering if anyone
 here is a work-at-night, sleep-in-the-day person, as
 GG was?  I stay up late myself, but I do get to bed
 before sunrise.  We know GG would work all night
 in the studio, editing for hours, trying to meet deadlines.
 Not to mention the late night phone calls.

 Working at night can have advantages, the best advantage
 is the reduction of interruptions.  But, there is also a sense
 of being the only one awake, of being far removed from the
 modern, busy daytime world.   Now, with the internet
 'open 24 hours', there is always a chat room to visit, a site
 to research, or a letter to email.   GG would have loved it.
 However, if you're body is not fully adjusted to staying up
 all night,  your health can be seriously compromised. >>

   I've been a night person all of my life. Luckily I'm self-employed and can
keep my own hours. The "modern busy daytime world" as you so succinctly put
it is something I try to avoid. I go to sleep around 7AM and wake around 4PM.

<<As for polyphonic listening- I have often watched TV
and listened to talk radio at the same time, because I
was interested in both and didn't want to miss either!
But I can only do it for a few minutes.  But, I find that
I'm actually shifting focus between the two sources.
And that really, I can't focus on both with eqaul attention.
Can anyone here do that? >>

    I can read and listen to several different things at once; but I can also
read and write backwards - just weird....LOL!
                                  Evalynne