Re: a place called today

Amen, Joseph, you said it all!

Teun

    -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
    Van: jjrd@sympatico.ca <jjrd@sympatico.ca>
    Aan: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu <f_minor@email.rutgers.edu>
    Datum: dinsdag 20 juli 1999 9:43
    Onderwerp: a place called today

    Tonight is one of those numerous nights where I just cannot get to bed.
My
    girlfriend is sleeping like a baby downstairs and here I am, in this
office
    overlooking a dying industrial city, riveted to a Macintosh screen, the
CBC
    muted in the background, with Webern's op. 27 looping into the
Sennheisers.
    Tonight, I feel like writing a little letter to you, f_minor people. So
    that is precisely what I shall do. Here I am, writing to a bunch of
    strangers... people that somehow I just can't help but like. Why?
Perhaps
    because of this common interest and/or passion that we share. Most days,
    the memory of a man is bringing us together. One, two... several
letters.
    They come, they go. This forum is interesting. It really is. Serious at
    times, totally absurd at others. People may be on this forum for
different
    reasons and might participate on a regular basis or simply read... it
    doesn't matter. I feel that anybody who once took the time to subscribe
    a Glenn Gould forum (and stick around for a while) must be an
interesting
    soul. An hopeless romantic, a young musician, a nostalgic fan, a severe
    researcher, a goofy "philanthrope", a monistic soul, a curious
musicologist
    (hey, I am French, you may interpret the word "curious" in any sense
that
    you wish), a music lover... your pick is as good as mine. The
"variations
    on this theme" are as numerous as the number of individuals involved.
With
    such a diverse group interested in such a man as Gould, I honestly don't
    believe that this forum can always be right on focus and only
concentrate
    on the man and his music. Of course not. How would that be possible? How
    could a forum about Glenn Gould not divert into mathematics, logic,
    psychiatry, biotechnology? How could such a forum not at occasions be
    diving into new technologies, Sherlock Holmes stories, sudden Russian
    astrophysical revelations? How could such a forum not receive a prank
    letter once in a while? How could people not giggle at times in this
    f_minor of ours? And how could such a forum not talk about the greatest
    country on earth? (oh, for you people from out of town, I am talking
about
    Canada, here, ok?) Or even cry, at times. Sorry to report, but anything
is
    possible, here. We are talking about Gould, here.

    Tonight is one of those numerous nights where I just couldn't get to
bed.
    Sometimes, I write. Sometimes, I read. Sometimes, I chat one the phone
with
    a friend in Baltimore until the sun shows up for the both of us. And
    tonight, well, I wrote this little letter to you. Tonight, well... I
talked
    about Glenn.

    Joseph Jean Rolland Dubé
    439, 5e Rue, Studio 1