Re: GG: Wrong Notes?

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, John Hill wrote:

> I agree with Bradley.  I think GG was less interested in scholarly accuarcy
> than creating a convincing and musical (albeit highly personal)
> interpretation.

This is certainly true. I was just "talking" on another list about how
much I like Gould's interpretations of some of the Beethoven sonatas, but
they're a little out-there for people who can't deal with Gould's musical
idiosyncrasies.

For instance, his Tempest sonata is *wonderful,* and so is his
recording of B's Opus 27 #1. But I've also heard some pretty odd Gould
Beethoven sonatas. (People often point to his recordings of the late B
sonatas, but I've never heard them, myself.)

-Lindsey Orcutt
lindseyo@aracnet.com