GG: Wrong Notes?

I agree with Bradley.  I think GG was less interested in scholarly accuarcy than
creating a convincing and musical (albeit highly personal) interpretation.

The editions he used were probably the ones he grew up with
(Peters, etc.).  Wonder which ones the Royal Conservatory in Toronto
were using at the time.

There are actually *many* examples of mistakes and/or wrong notes
in GG's recorded output and it can be a shock when you play through
something and go...."wait a minute;  that's not what he did...".

Kazdin mentions in his book that sometimes he would point out a
note that GG habitually played wrong and Gould seemed to sluff it
off as not being too important.  Who knows;  maybe he didn't want to
of things.  He had lots of notes to think about after all;  the stastical density
of having everything he recorded memorized is pretty staggering, when you
think about it.

jh