GG: Gould's religion

A fascinating subject, despite the lack of documentation.

My research suggests that Gould, like many in his and our time, held a
certain respect for God and a certain disinterest in institutional religion.
He clearly had considerable exposure to it as a youth (and during this
period, incidentally, he became a rather accomplished organist).

He speaks eloquently, and I detect fondly, of the sacred world and lifestyle
into which Bach was born, and with great sympathy for how the juggernaut of
the age of reason was relentlessly dismantling same by the time of the
latter's death.

In "Toronto" he also speaks with great nostalgia for the "Peace that passes
all understanding" afforded by the Sunday evening worship services of his
youth, as he faced the terrifying prospect of another week of school.  This
sense of 'place' at least resembles the notion of divine sanctuary, and
resonates loudly with his rather reclusive manner.

His much-quoted ("32 short films", among other places) interview remark
about finding the existence of an afterlife seeming infinitely more
plausible than the alternative, 'oblivion', perhaps sums up a relationship
of convenience.  My guess is that he never doubted the existence of God, and
felt it a necessary and useful part of a very private world view... but in
uncharacteristic fashion, shied away from talking about it.

Once again, Gould leads his time... surely this would describe an enormous
component of society today.

I'd be delighted to hear any primary information on this subject from any
who knew Gould, and may be lurking in f_minor land.

-Chris Dawes

Christopher Dawes, FRCCO <orgalt@the-wire.com> --'
St.James' Cathedral, Toronto, Canada---------'
Organ Alternatives(www.orgalt.com)---------'