Re: GG

Dear Teun,

Hello, are you new to the list?  If so, welcome. I'm afraid you might have
gotten...well...an inaccurate impression of (most of) the F_minor
subscribers from the initial responses to your question.  As you have seen,
all opinions are entertained here...but I believe that the majority of
subscribers to the list are very fond of Gould's interpretations of Bach.
At least, a lot of them are!  Perhaps some of them will back me up in future
posted answers to your question.

You asked for the opinions of piano students.  I am not a piano student
(although I was when I was around six) but since my encounter with a Bach
piece played by Gould was the reason I began collecting more, and more, and
MORE CD's of his, and also the reason I subscribed to this list, I felt
compelled to answer.  Needless to say, I think Gould's Bach interpretations
are wonderful.  I believe that the tempo at which he played them, and the
clarity with which he played them, allow one to hear the beauty in the
structure of Bach's work like on one else I've listened to.  But that's only
my listener's, unlearned opinion.  I know there are many piano players on
this list, as well as harpsichord players, and a few people who have
extensive knowledge of keyboard repertoire.  It seems I've also seen posts
from individuals that have a great deal of training and hold advanced
degrees in the studies of music and recording.  Maybe one or two of them
will answer your question in more specific terms.  And there are always the
archives of the f_minor posts, which you can look at through the f_minor
homepage;  the address of the archive list is:
                      http://tug.org/mail-archives/f_minor/
I know there are some very lengthly threads and posts specifically devoted
to Gould and Bach.

Well, at any rate, I hope that helps, and good luck with your studies!

Veronica Xavier
xavierandrew@earthlink.net