GG: GG and Cage (was: A question for the musicologists)

G'day f_monorers !
First of all, thank you for introducing me to the the theory of microtonality. I found out that GG mentioned several composers who have worked with microtonality (not for that, but for other reasons) like Stockhausen and Riley. Sounds like a good starting point.......

Sergio and Ingvar
I, as Ingvar Loco Nordin said, am a devoted Gouldian and a passionate
Cageian, among other things, and a member of f-minor and silence.
Would you please explain me GG's opinions about Cage?Please correct me I anything below should be wrong
Well, as you know although GG collaborated with Cage for a radio documentary about Schönberg in 1970 and AFAIK at one time GG even considered performing 4'33" at Woodstock (which would have perfectly suited GG's very own sense of humor), he made several sarcastic (if not cynical) comments about Cage in his writings (please check the GG reader for details). In his "Concert Drop-Out" interview from 1968 Gould refers to Cage as "more interesting in a theatrical sense than in a musical sense" (for reasons unknown to me he preferred Stockhausen much more)
GG considered himself as a "musical conservative". I assume that he may have liked some of Cages ideas and theories. Cage tried to change the way we listen to music and the way we approach music/sound in general. GG may have liked that, at least he tried to change the way we listen to radio with "Idea of North" but I think that's about it
Anything else would just be pure speculation from my part (after all Cage played a very small role in the GG universe and my opinion on Cage is not important) so I reckon I better shut up.

Have a good day !

Pat

begin:          vcard
fn:             pat zumstein
n:              zumstein;pat
adr:            ;;;Attiswil;;; Switzerland
email;internet: pzumst@bluewin.ch
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1