Re: GG: Tabasco, Noise, etc.

At 14:31 23/07/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm not really a Miles Davis fan; the only album of his I have is "Kind of
>Blue," and I bought that because the pianist is Bill Evans.  And I got
>into Evans' artistry because of f_minor and GG's admiration for Evans.
>
>Just noticed something this afternoon.  The last track of "Kind of Blue,"
>entitled "Flamenco Sketches," begins exactly the same way as Evans' own
>"Peace Piece" from several years earlier.

Actually it is later.  Anyway, it is well known (:->) that Bill was the
driving force behind most of this album.  It was Evans that composed most
of the modal pieces, and he was the person who got Miles into Modal playing.

> Same key, melody, harmonic
>pattern, mood (but with a bass playing the bass).  Then Evans' solo later
>in this piece explores ideas from "Peace Piece," taking them farther or
>venturing off in different directions...this piece's harmony *does*
>change, while "Peace Piece"'s doesn't...it remains as constant as Chopin's
>"Berceuse."  "Peace Piece" itself (from "Everybody Digs...") is an
>elaboration of a passage in a Bernstein song;

"Some other time" from .... i forget, "On the Town" perhaps ?

* Bruce Petherick                                               *
* b.petherick@vc.unimelb.edu.au                   *
*il n'y a pas de hors-text                                      *
* Bringing Musicology to the masses                   *
* Harry Conick Jr is the Hanson of the Jazz world *