Re: technology and the average listener

Dear Mary Jo
Thank you for your interesting comments. I totally argee. If any kind of recording, no matter if its AAA, ADD or whatever, sounds good on an old tape deck, then it sounds good on any other equipement !
P.S. If you're interested in Gould's ideas about CD-ROMs (i.e. his "kitconcept" of music) I recommend Peter Gabriel's 1995 interactivepublished by his company, Real World. It's called _Eve_  and younavigate a world looking for sound clips which you then can use tocreate pretty convincing music and videos.  The atmosphere is unique because the four levels were designed by contemporary artists: Yayoi Kusama (who has a current exhibit at MoMA which is on its way to Tokyo),the late Helen Chadwick, Cathy de Monchaux who was nominated for aprestigious Tate Gallery award recently, and photographer Nils Udo. Themusic samples are out-takes from 4 Gabriel songs. http://realworld.on.net/eve/
I also agree on "EVE". Now this is a good game !It may be a bit difficult to play if you don't invest a certain amount of time and patience, but just the graphics and the sounds alone are brilliant ! You might also want to check out Peter Gabriel's "Xplora 1" wich is based on similar ideas as "EVE" but not with the same complexity as "EVE".

cheers
pat