Re: GG: CBC Recordings -- the best possible?

At 08:45 20/07/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Bruce Petherick wrote:
>

>> John's explaination is good and reminds me of a project that I have been
working on for a couple of months. One of my favourite recordings at the
moment is the live Salzburg recording of the Goldbergs and Sinfonias [There
is a really wacky problem in the middle of the Sinfonias where the
recording sound changes substantially - it sounds like a set of microphones
stopped working, or Glenn poured some butter into the piano in the middle
of the performance]. After reading an article about Marcel Duchamp's Gap
Music (he is interested in the gap between Art and Noise), I decided to
edit the first couple of Goldbergs on the studio hard disk and remove all
of the notes. I call the piece "Glenn Gould doesn't play the non-Goldberg
Variations not in Salzburg". The new piece is rather nice as one can
concentrate on the room ambience, as well as the faint echoes of the piece
itself. It did take a long time to do - about 5-10 mins per note attack.

>Will we get to hear your experiments?

I am working on a way to let the computer do it - I am also in a middle of
producing a CD of some of my EA works - it will be on that.
* Bruce Petherick                                               *
* b.petherick@vc.unimelb.edu.au                   *
*il n'y a pas de hors-text                                      *
* Bringing Musicology to the masses                   *
* Harry Conick Jr is the Hanson of the Jazz world *