Re: GG: not in _Time_John Cage

I was in Buffalo NY during the crazy days of the late 60'2 early 70's.
John Cage came to State Teachers College (on Elmwood Ave.) and did some concert/
lecture combos. (I was allowed to walk there from my high school.)
The experience was very strange and new.  My music world had been very narrow
until then.  I can't say that I really like the new stuff all the time and in every
case,
but there is much to appreciate and get used to. After all, Beethoven's music
sounded
avant-garde to his contemporaries. (and there are lots of other examples throughout
history)  There are many who would criticize even the most conservative departures
from the narrow, or course.  We should all be given the opportunity to listen and
decide for ourselves what we like and let others decide what they like.
My high school music teacher, Hans Vigeland, was to present a very serious concert
(recital actually).  He came on stage.  Sat very ceremoniously at the piano,
adjusting
his seat, etc.  We waited for him to begin playing, and waited, and waited.  He
never
did play the piano.  It was a John Cage piece!
Gayle