RE: David Cope/EMI (Was:Mozart's 42nd - yeah, right)

Hello--

I am a composer myself and have occasionally used algorithms in my pieces,
though not for the purpose of emulating dead composers.  I have David
Cope's latest CD, "Classical Music Composed By Computer," and find at least
parts of it to be engaging.  His Sonata "after Beethoven" combining
elements of the Moonlight sonata with Bach harmonies was actually quite
affecting.  Maybe he has taken the concept a little bit too far, but it is
at least interesting.  One of the stranger pieces combines Mozart with
Balinese gamelan.  The performances on the CD, btw, are by live performers,
so maybe their "human" input helped.

The CD is on Centaur Records (CRC 2329).

Best,

Forrest Fang

http://pwp.value.net/ffcal/FFANG1.HTM