Re: GG: Music and Morality

Michael D. Benedetti wrote:

> Marco Poli wrote:
> >(and, of course, moral judgements are not
> >always straightforward for a very intelligent and open-minded person:
> >Gould's parameters of reference might have been quite different from and
> >reached far deeper than the ones adopted by other people).
>
> GG's judgements often did not seem very deep; often they seemed to be the
> results of someone who was nuts. GG was a hypocrite about so many things
> that it seems ridiculous to expect consistency from him.

I would describe the flaws in GG's thinking somewhat differently: despite his
intellectualisms, he was much more an instinctive than intellectual thinker; &
relied on his conclusions to justify the premises than the other way round. This
can often give the suggestion of hypocrisy; but (as with GG's near-contemporary
- & intellectualising clone - the French film director Jean-Luc Godard) it's
really just a sign that he hasn't thought his argument out....

All the best,

Robert Clements <clemensr@mailhost.world.net>
<http://www.ausnet.net.au/~clemensr/welcome.htm>