Re[2]: GG: Mozart

     I enjoyed the various e-mails on Mozart.  I am also a Mozart
     fanatic and I am glad to hear other people say nice things
     about Mr. Gould's recordings of them.  (I have piped up on
     that theme here before.)  After all, he recorded them all;
     that says something right there.

     I have never understood why these recordings are so
     controversial.  It's true that they show some GG
     idiosyncrasies (or style, depending on your perspective),
     but what did he ever record that doesn't?  We know he has a
     bright crisp way of playing, that he will emphasize parts of
     the music that aren't ordinarily emphasized, etc., etc., and
     so he does that with Mozart too.  I think they are
     beautifully played and very characteristic of the classical
     period.

     With respect to Mozart being too easy for beginners and too
     hard for artists, Mozart was in the habit of writing things
     that, no matter how difficult, lie very naturally on the
     keyboard -- or at least as naturally as possible.  He also
     wrote music that sustains very well at a variety of tempos.
     That certainly allows his music to be adapted to a wide
     range of playing levels.  The c major k545 (???), supposedly
     written "for beginners" but popular with professionals as
     well, is notable for its brevity.  If you slow it down to
     half tempo or more, it is about the right length.
     Interesting, isn't it.

     Love & kisses to you all

     Mark