Re: GG: Beethoven/Liszt SIXTH Symphony

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, I prattled on:

> Yes, I have a recording of the two-piano version of Mahler 6.  And some
> years ago a friend and I played through part of a duet edition of Mahler
> 1.  (...)
> And there's a two-piano version of The Planets, and Bolero, and La Valse,
> and the Rapsodie Espagnole, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice, and
> Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances; and Brahms' first piano concerto arranged
> as a duet; and solo piano versions of most of Grieg's orchestral works;
> and Beethoven's own arrangement of his second symphony as a piano trio;
> and Zemlinsky did a piano-trio arrangement of Schoenberg's "Transfigured
> Night"; and then there are all those chamber versions of Strauss waltzes,
> arranged by Schoenberg and his pupils; and there's a piano-trio version of
> one of Brahms' string sextets; etc.  I find these transcriptions
> fascinating.

Some corrections, note details below.

That whole idea of piano transcriptions was intriguing, and I wanted to
check details of some of the things I had posted off the top of my head
yesterday, so I looked up the CD's in my collection which feature the
piano in unaccustomed or unusual roles: pieces that are usually played by
other instruments.  One of my hobbies is collecting unusual versions of
pieces.

NOT INCLUDED: any Bach, Handel, or Scarlatti on the piano, even though
those are automatically transcriptions; any of the Liszt pieces which are
original in both piano and orchestral versions (e.g., Mephisto Waltz,
Hungarian Rhapsodies, etc.); pieces which are primarily piano pieces or
piano-accompanied but also have orchestral versions (e.g. many Debussy
pieces, Balakirev's Islamey, Rachmaninoff's Vocalise, Faure's Pavane,
etc.); popular things which were often arranged by various composers (e.g.
Racoczy March); arrangements from some other solo instrument to piano
(e.g. Rachmaninoff's transcriptions of many things); things arranged in
the other direction (e.g., Schoenberg's orchestration of Brahms' piano
quartet).

-----

(arrangements are by the composer if not otherwise specified)

Bach: Violin Sonatas and Partitas, with piano parts added by Schumann
(Schmid, Smirnova) MD+G 333 0614-2

Bartok: Rhapsodies, violin and piano (Pauk, Jando) Naxos 8.550886

Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra; Petite Suite; Dance Suite, piano solo
(Sandor) CBS MK 44526

Beethoven, arr. Liszt: Sym 4 & 8, piano solo (Katsaris) Teldec 2292-43259-2

Beethoven, arr. Liszt: Sym 5; 6 first mvt., piano solo (Gould) Sony SMK 52636

Beethoven, arr. Liszt: Sym 6, piano solo (Gould) Music & Arts 651

Beethoven, arr. Liszt: Sym 7, piano solo (Smith) Nimbus NI 5013

Berlioz, arr. Liszt: Symphonie fantastique, piano solo (further arr. by
Petrov) (Petrov) MCA Art & Electronics AED-10332 (there is also a Naxos
recording of this by Biret)

Brahms: Concerto 1 arr. for piano duet (Aebersold, Neiweem) Summit DCD 184

Brahms, arr. Kirchner: String sextets op 18 and 36, piano trio
(Rabinowitsch, Hirschhorn, Geringas) Novalis 150 056-2

Copland: Appalachian Spring, orig. chamber version including piano
(Atlantic Sinfonietta/Schenck) Koch 3-7019-2

Gershwin: An American in Paris, piano roll arranged by Frank Milne
(Wodehouse) Elektra/Nonesuch 79287-2 (also includes Gershwin's roll
performance of Rhapsody in Blue)

Grieg: Holberg Suite; Peer Gynt suites; Sigurd Jorsalfar excerpts; etc.,
piano solo versions (Steen-Nokleberg) Naxos complete edition of Grieg's
piano music

Haydn, arr. Salomon: Sym 94, 100, 104, string quartet/flute/piano
(Academy Ch Ens, Hogwood) L'Oiseau-Lyre 443 194-2

Holst: Planets and Elegy, 2 pianos; Elgar: Serenade, piano duet
(Goldstone, Clemmow) Albany TROY 198

Mahler: various, incl. movements from Sym. 4&5, piano roll (Mahler)
Kaplan Foundation 342

Mahler, arr. Zemlinsky: Sym 6, 2 pianos (Zenker, Trenkner) MD+G L 3400

Mozart: Fantasia in f for mechanical organ, arr. for piano duet
(Georgieva, Taskov) Grega GD 139

Mozart: Sonatas K545, 475, 533/494, second piano part added by Grieg
(Leonskaja, Richter) Teldec 4509-90825-2

Mussorgsky, arr. Lawrence Leonard: Pictures at an Exhibition, piano and
orch. (Ungar, Simon, Philharmonia) CALA CACD1012

Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances, 2 pianos (Argerich, Rabinovitch) Teldec
9031-74717-2

Rachmaninoff, arr. Kogosowski: Trio Elegiaque #2, as piano concerto
(Kogosowski, Detroit/Jarvi) Chandos CHAN 9261

Ravel: La Valse, piano solo (many versions, including Gould's; my
favorite is Pennario, EMI CDM 7 69117 2)

Ravel: Mother Goose, Rapsodie espagnole, piano duet; Introduction &
Allegro, Bolero, La Valse, 2 pianos (Lortie, Mercier) Chandos CHAN 8905

Schoenberg, arr. Steuermann: Verklaerte Nacht, piano trio (Clementi-Trio
Koeln) Largo 5111

Schumann, arr. Brahms: Quintet scherzo; Brahms: Sextet 1
theme/variations, piano solo (Biret) Naxos 8.550958

Sibelius: Karelia Suite; Pelleas & Melisande; Valse triste; King Kristian
II; etc., piano solo (Tawaststjerna) BIS CD 366

Sibelius: Finlandia, piano version (Lauriala) Naxos 8.553661

J Strauss: Schatz-Walzer (arr. Webern); Wein, Weib und Gesang (arr.
Berg); Kaiser-Walzer (arr. Schoenberg), chamber ens. including piano
(Berg Qt & friends) EMI CDC 7 54881 2

R Strauss: Dance of the Seven Veils, Heldenleben excerpt, Feuersnot
excerpt; Saint-Saens: Samson & Dalila excerpt; Humperdinck: Hansel &
Gretel excerpt; etc. piano rolls (composers) Teldec 2292-43588-2

R Strauss, arr. Gould: Beim Schlafengehen, Elektra excerpt; Schoenberg:
Pierrot lunaire excerpts; Ravel: La Valse, piano or piano/voice (Gould,
Marshall, Rideout) Nuova Era 2310

R Strauss, arr. Singer: Sinfonia domestica; Dukas, arr. Rabinovitch:
Sorcerer's Apprentice; Ravel: La Valse, 2 pianos (Argerich, Rabinovitch)
Teldec 4509-96435-2

Stravinsky: Petrushka; Rite of Spring, piano rolls (Lawson) MusicMasters
01612-67138-2

Stravinsky: Rite of Spring, 2 pianos (Frith, Hill) Naxos 8.553386

Wagner, arr. Gould: Siegfried Idyll, Meistersinger Prelude,
Dawn/Siegfried's Rhine Journey, solo piano (Gould) Sony SK 46279

-----

Other transcriptions I've heard or played or heard of, but don't have a
CD of:

Bach-Reger: Brandenburg Concertos, piano duet
Bach: violin works with piano parts added by Mendelssohn and others
Bartok: piano arrangements of Italian baroque harpsichord music
Beethoven: Sym 2, piano trio
the other Beethoven-Liszt symphonies, played by Katsaris and others
Berlioz: Harold in Italy, viola/piano
Brahms: symphonies, piano duet
Brahms: Haydn Variations, piano duo
Gershwin: Lullaby, piano solo
Haydn and Mozart symphonies as piano duets
Mahler: Sym 1, piano duet
Ravel: Tzigane, violin/piano
Stravinsky: Rite of Spring, piano duet version
Tchaikovsky-Debussy: ballet music, piano duet
Gould's other transcriptions such as Schubert 5th Sym excerpts

...and many others I can't think of at the moment...

Anyone suggest similar arrangements you've heard or played?

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.44N+78.87W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/