Re: GG: Beethoven/Liszt SIXTH Symphony

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, jerry and judy wrote:

> I wonder if you were saying "why not have a transcription of any and all
> orchestral pieces?".  I'd love to acquire a solo piano transcription of the
> Mahler and Bruckner symphonies!  Has anyone seen an edition?

Yes, I have a recording of the two-piano version of Mahler 6.  And some
years ago a friend and I played through part of a duet edition of Mahler
1.

I listened yesterday to the two-piano version of The Rite of Spring, on
the recent Naxos release.  Remarkable how they suggest the tone colors!
There's also a piano roll version of that piece, the type where nobody
actually played it but they (back in the 20's or 30's) programmed in all
sorts of notes which human pianists wouldn't be able to reach, arranging
directly onto the roll.  That recording is on Musicmasters.

And there's a two-piano version of The Planets, and Bolero, and La Valse,
and the Rapsodie Espagnole, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice, and
Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances; and Brahms' first piano concerto arranged
as a duet; and solo piano versions of most of Grieg's orchestral works;
and Beethoven's own arrangement of his second symphony as a piano trio;
and Zemlinsky did a piano-trio arrangement of Schoenberg's "Transfigured
Night"; and then there are all those chamber versions of Strauss waltzes,
arranged by Schoenberg and his pupils; and there's a piano-trio version of
one of Brahms' string sextets; etc.  I find these transcriptions
fascinating.

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.44N+78.87W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/