Re: GG: influence of harpsicord

Hi Rohan!

>i've noticed some influences of the harpsichord in his
>playing. his articulated phrasing and use of rubato are not unlike
>techniques used on harpsicord. does anybody know if gould ever made any
>definitive comments on this subject?

He recorded the Handel suites on the harpsichord, and on one of the videos he
plays the Art of the Fugue (Contrapunctus IV) on a harpsi-piano.  There are
other harpsi-piano recordings out there, but I can't remember which ones.

I don't think GG had any knowledge of "traditional" harpsichord
articulation/technique, and he had no formal training on the instrument.

He did admit (I think to Kazdin) that he "loved the sound of the instrument."
I think he probably liked it for its lack of resonance (the sound dies away
_much_ faster than a Steinway) which probably worked well with his non-legato
style, and also for its quick touch, or "tactile immediacy."
On the other hand, I think he did record the Handel suites while
cd-318 was in the repair shop, having been dropped :( so maybe it was just
a subsitute for his beloved piano.

I'm surprised Gould didn't mention the instrument more often in his writing.
I'm also surprised he didn't study it as a child.  The instrument's style does
suit him well, so I was sort of disappointed that the recordings aren't
very good.

David