Subject: GG: influence of harpsicord
Author:  Rohan Masilamani <romasi@leland.Stanford.EDU> at internet
Date:    8/19/97 5:06 PM

hello f-minor's,

my name is rohan masilamani, and i've been on the f-minor list for a couple
of months now. i must say that i find the conversation on this list most
exhilirating. i never realized how seemingly inexhaustible the topic of
glenn gould is. since this is my first posting to the list, i'll introduce
myself. i'm a sophomore at stanford university interested in computer
science, and i'm an avid pianist and harpsicordist. i've been a great
admirer of glenn gould's eccentric genius since my early childhood.

my question concerns the influence of the harpsicord on glenn gould's
playing. i'm currently being audacious enough to attempt to learn the
"goldberg variations" on harpsicord, hence i've been paying attention to new
details in  the gould recordings. even though gould confined his bach
playing to piano, i've noticed some influences of the harpsicord in his
playing. his articulated phrasing and use of rubato are not unlike
techniques used on harpsicord. does anybody know if gould ever made any
definitive comments on this subject?

cheers,
rohan
Rohan James Masilamani, Metaphor-At-Large
Class of 2000, Stanford University
romasi@leland.stanford.edu
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~romasi