Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 18:46:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rob Haskins <rh@wozzeck>
To: Rohan Masilamani <romasi@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: GG: influence of harpsicord

I think that Gould's articulation is in many ways
totally antithetical to what a harpsichordist would
do.  GOuld's characteristic non-legato is quite
uniform, whereas a good harpsichordist would vary
his/her note lengths from anywhere around 1/4
length to over-legato.  It is unfortunate that
Gould's non-legato playing has encouraged some
harpsichordists to approach articulation in the
same way.

By the way, as much as I love Gould, I find his
harpsichord recordings the least satisfying
musically and technically of his legacy.

Rob Haskins
Eastman School of Music