Re: GG: WALTER Carlos

        I really enjoy hearing Bach played on the synthesizer.
        Particularly now that such fine equipment is available at such
        low cost.  I remember in the mid-1970s, when I was in high
        school, most synthesizers were monophonic and you really had to
        pay to get a polyphonic synthesizer, and it was not until I was
        almost out of high school that the first touch-sensitive
        synthesizers were available at all.  (I think the first one I
        read about was an Oberheim.)  And even in the mid-1980s, when I
        finally had a little money to spend on equipment, you really had
        to pay for touch-sensitive instruments.  To make matters worse,
        you found that not only would your "polyphonic" synthesizer only
        play four voices at a time, but that many of the sounds you
        wanted to play with used up more than one voice for each note.
        So you constantly heard sounds "dropping out" of what you were
        playing.  It was quite frustrating.

        But now, for around $1,300 (U.S., for the international crowd),
        you can get a touch-sensitive keyboard and a sound module that
        will really keep up with what you are playing.  Sounds still
        drop out if you try to do to much at one time (e.g., if you are
        using "dual tone" with one or more complex sounds) unless you
        spend a lot of money.  And if you set the module to "multi" mode
        (e.g., to use with a sequencer), there will be much more
        limitation on what each of the 16 channels can do at any one
        time.  But in the mid-80s, we didn't even have multi mode.  So
        all in all, life is pretty nice.

        It makes it possible to do a lot with Bach that you couldn't do
        before, without spending a lot of money.  Mr. Gould would have
        approved, I think.

        Mark