Re: Young Glenn Gould

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Verna Post wrote:

> A personal acquaintance and former pupil of Alberto Guerrero was told by
> Myrtle Rose Guerrero that  the Mozart duets were definitely not GG and
> Guerrero and  the performers were actually herself (MRG) and Robert Finch.
> However, we have no proof of the performers in the other works.

The Hallmark recordings are certainly GG.  Some solo, some with violinist
A. Pratz.  Check any of the several available discographies.

My own favorite on the disc is the Berg Sonata...interesting to compare
this passionate performance with the later one on Columbia, which has
cooler repose (in my opinion).  They're both clearly the work of the same
player: more similar to each other than in the other pieces which GG did
twice in the studio (Mozart, Haydn sonata, Bach GV).

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.44N+78.87W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/