Re: GG: Goldbergs on synthesizer et al

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, R Johansen wrote:

[about "New Age Bach," the Goldberg Variations on synthesizer;]
> The guy's name is Joel Spiegelman, and my copy is an LP (I don't think it
> was ever issued on CD); East-West Records 90927-1. It's from 1988.

Right, Joel Spiegelman.  My copy's on CD; don't know if it's still in the
catalog that way.  I never saw the LP version.  :)

> (...) Another, perhaps more serious reservation about this recording
> is Spiegelman's apparent fondness for timbres; different ones, and
> sometimes a LOT of them at the same time. At times this creates a kind of
> Spike Jones effect, and it can take some listening to get past that
> "comedy"-feeling.

I agree, it's a little Jonesy, but the lines are always so clear!  Plus
according to the legends, the GV were written to amuse/entertain a guy who
had trouble going to sleep, so I think Spiegelman's sometimes whimsical
approach is generally appropriate.  Certainly engaging and entertaining.

Another entertaining GV transcription is the one about twelve years ago by
Dmitry Sitkovetsky, for string trio (all-stars: Sitkovetsky, Causse,
Maisky).  The LP release (Orfeo) included a score of S's transcription; I
don't think that was included in the CD version.  I suspect GG would have
called this transcription "delightfully parsimonious" and admired the
contrapuntal clarity.  It works best in the canons, of course; the flashy
variations for two manuals require some fudging.

S's newer transcription a year or two ago, for string orchestra, is also
excellent.  I think it's amusing to hear a harpsichord playing continuo in
a piece that is really a harpsichord solo.

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.44N+78.87W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/