Re: GG: Goldbergs on synthesizer; non-homogeneous fingering

Hi All,

The guy's name is Joel Spiegelman, and my copy is an LP (I don't think it
was ever issued on CD); East-West Records 90927-1. It's from 1988.

I entirely agree with Bradley; it's decidedly one of the most interesting
Goldbergs ever. In particular, it throws a sidelight on the normally more
hidden polyphony and brings out detail that would otherwise require a study
of the score to discover. On a few variations (notably the repeats of No.
11) Spiegelman adds additional voices; I don't particularly like this, but
I think my reservation may be more cerebrally than aesthetically
founded...) Another, perhaps more serious reservation about this recording
is Spiegelman's apparent fondness for timbres; different ones, and
sometimes a LOT of them at the same time. At times this creates a kind of
Spike Jones effect, and it can take some listening to get past that
"comedy"-feeling.

Roy

----------
> From: Bradley P Lehman <bpl@umich.edu>
> To: f_minor <f_minor@email.rutgers.edu>
> Subject: RE: GG: Goldbergs on synthesizer; non-homogeneous fingering
> Date: Wednesday, July 30, 1997 11:56 AM
>
> On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, R Johansen wrote:
>
> > I find it very peculiar that a man who coupled the Goldbergs (performed
on
> > the piano) with the 14 canons on the Goldberg theme performed on a
> > _synthesizer_ can muster the courage to criticize anyone for
> > "overestimat[ing] Bach's 'indifference about instruments'". Mr.
Takahashi's
> > recording was made in 1976, which was well before any decent-sounding
> > synthesizer, and his synth work wasn't quite W. Carlos standard... It
is
> > awful!
>
> I haven't heard this particular Takahashi album, but I've been favorably
> impressed with everything else of his I've heard, especially his
recording
> of John Cage's "Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano."
>
> My main reason for writing today is to mention a different recording of
> the Goldberg Variations themselves (not the canons) on synthesizer.  It
> was issued more than five years ago with the unfortunate and misleading
> title "New Age Bach."  It's not new-agey at all, but instead a
perceptive,
> creative, entertaining performance of the Goldbergs, with quite a bit of
> tasteful variety, and not in Carlos or Tomita style, either.  (Wish I
> could remember the performer's name, but I can't think of it at the
> moment...my copy is at home.  I think it was Jeffrey something.) I don't
> know if it's still in print or not.  It was on Musicmasters (I think) and
> maybe also Musical Heritage Society labels.
>
> Several years ago I lent it to a friend (another professional
> harpsichordist) who has played and taught the GV's, and who has heard
> dozens of different recordings.  He gave it back saying it was the best
> performance he's ever heard on any instrument, and he had rushed out to
> get his own copy.
>
> -----
>
> Junichi's comment about Takahashi:
>
> > (By the way, Takahashi is now seeking for non-homogeneous
> > fingering on the keyboard to revive the
> > character of each finger, which makes music a "physical" achievement.)
>
> This seems to me to be a worthy goal.  It's certainly a part of essential
> harpsichord, organ, and clavichord technique in much of the repertoire:
in