Young Glenn Gould

Bradley Lehman's reference to Allegro Distributors dumping the Young Glenn
Gould LP may indicate their belief that the recordings by GG and Guerrero
are indeed not authentic.  John Beckwith writes the following in the Vol. 2,
No. 2 issue dated Fall 1996, of Glenn Gould, a publication of the Glenn
Gould Foundation::

"In the late spring of 1948, Myrtle Rose Guerrero and Robert Finch (a member
of the University of Toronto's French department, well-known poet, painter,
accomplished amateur pianist, and close friend of both Guerreros) gave a
recital at the Royal Coonservatory, devoted to the complete works of Mozart
for piano four hands (Alberto Guerrero was very keen on this repertoire at
the time, and in 1949 and 1950, under his tutelage, Ray Dudley and I played
several concerts of four-hand music, our programmes ranging from Mozart's
variations and two of his sonatas through works by Hindemith, Stravinsky,
Casella, and Poulenc to a little suite of my own.)  As may now be apparent,
I view the performance on Turnabout's Young Glenn Gould LP as being by
Myrtle Guerrero and Robert Finch, not by Alberto Guerrero and Gould at all.
One of the reviews--rightly, in my view--summed up the production as a
"discographic disgrace," adding that it had been made "against the express
wishes of [Gould's] estate."  Myrtle Guerrero, the original owner of the
acetate discs, agreed with me at the time the LP appeared that a mistake had
been made.  Both she and Finch died, at advanced ages, in the summer of 1995."

John Beckwith studied with Guerrero and is a distinguished composer and
scholar in Canada.

So, perhaps your money might spent to better advantage!!

Verna Post