GG: Re:Tragedy and Ecstasy...

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Kristen Immoor wrote:

> Ecstasy/Tragedy. As it compares to the Friedrich bio, I thought Ostwald's
> writing was much warmer and more sentimental, and I think he did a more
> tactful job of presenting his collected interviews with GG's friends and
> professional contacts. Ostwald put a human face on a lot of the pure
> journalism Friedrich wrote in Life & Variations, and I like his style.

After reading, on this list, about Ostwald book, I went to a bookstore
looking for it, and ended up ordering it -- along with a Gould biography
by Payzant.

I was a littled saddened by the Friedrich book, because it almost seemed
to be about a sad, eccentric man who ... just happened to be a wonderful
pianist. I was wanting to read about the Gould with a world-class mind who
was able to convey joy through his music.

Anyway ... Then, at our local Recycled book, etc store I found "The Glenn
Gould Reader," compiled by Tim Page.  This is a WONDERFUL book, filled
with Gould's essays, articles, reviews, interviews. The last article in
the book is Gould's review of the Payzant biography of himself.  Gould
was, to say the least, very unhappy about the biography -- and it was so
much fun to read the review because Gould wrote it in a very detached
manner -- as though he was reviewing the biography of someone else.

When the Payzant bio arrives, I can read it with Gould's rebuttal in mind.

And ... at the Recycled book, etc store I found a copy of "The Glenn Gould
Silver Jubilee Album" ... just like new, in the original plastic wrap.
The second LP in the set is devoted to "A Glenn Gould Fantasy" (with Sir
Nigel, Theodore Slutz, and Klopweisser).  I've read the transcript but
have never actually heard it.  It's going to be sooooo much fun.

Cyndie...