Re: GG: the piano is hung from the chandelier

At 3:12 PM +1000 7/16/97, Tim Conway wrote:
>Hello Junichi and f-miners,
[snip]
>Dammit, chaps. Why is it left to me to answer this intriguing question
>properly? Where is Kristen I when we all need her (Hello K -- you might
>be saying the same about me; I hope to be replying soon)? Why should it
>be left to me to explain GG's phrasing and thereby expose my wicked and
>debauched childhood and adolesence? Why hasn't Alun bared his soul to the
>world? Oh well, here goes.
[bulk of the snip]

Hello, Tim dahlink!
     Since *you* brought the interpretation up, and I am therefore at no
risk of breaking any solemn vows, I can reveal freely that yes, your
interpretation was indeed Glenn's intent, and I would have spoken up sooner
had he not begged me all those years ago in Dirty Al's Saloon to keep
silent. "Those high-and-mighty critics are gonna love this," he told me,
"If any of 'em are smart enough to get it." Glenn always was a filthy
bastard after downing a few shots of tequila... At last, the burden of
clandestine knowledge has been lifted from my shoulders! Kudos to you, Tim,
for your bravery!
     Seriously, though, you are not alone. I too have heard the naughty
light fixture interpretation. However, on this side of the globe the
context I am most familiar with is the imperative directive (usually
hollered by frat boys) "Take off your clothes and hang from the chandelier,
baby!"
     Certainly nothing "decorous" about that.
     Does Barb know what you're up to on this list? ;-)

Best,
Kristen

"I'm very much the anti-hero in real life, you see, but I compensate madly
in my dreams."

                                  -- Glenn Gould, "Toronto"